The Mental Health SCQF Level 5 course is an intensive 1 day course.
Each year approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health condition and at least 1 in 6 employees experience common mental health problems in the workplace. Research has shown that work is the biggest cause of stress which can stop people from performing at their best.
Mental health conditions are often hidden due to stigma and fear of discrimination and research has shown that a culture of fear and silence around mental health is costly to employers. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance ‘First aid needs assessment’ refers to mental health in the workplace.
This course is packed with interactive activities which creates the perfect learning environment and will keep you engaged throughout the day.
Course will run 9am – 3.30pm which includes a short morning break/lunch break. It is advised you bring your own lunch as there may not be food options close to the facility.
What you will learn
- Know what mental health is, why people develop mental health conditions and the role of a First Aider for mental health
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting a mental health condition
- Know how to recognise and manage stress
- Know how to recognise a range of mental health conditions
- Understand the impact of substance abuse on mental health
- Understand the first aid action plan for mental health and be able to put it in place
- Know how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace
Assessment and certification
On successful completion of the course and passing the practical and written assessments, learners will receive Level 5 in First Aid for Mental Health (SCQF).
The qualification is valid for three years from the date of achievement. It is strongly recommended that the learner attends annual refresher training.
The learner will need to complete the full course again to requalify for a further three years.
This qualification is regulated in the UK and awarded by First Aid Awards (FAA).
FAA are an awarding organisation regulated by Ofqual and SQA Accreditation. The qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) and the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF).
This is a Nuco accredited course. The qualification is available to learners aged 14 or over.
Course duration and timings
1 Day Course
9am – 5pm
Topics covered in this course
- What is First Aid for Mental Health?
- Identifying mental health conditions
- Starting a conversation and signposting
- Mental health conditions
- Drugs and alcohol
- First aid for Mental Health action plan
- First aid for Mental Health in the workplace