The Mental Health SCQF Level 6 course is an intensive 2 day course. Ideally it’s delivered on consecutive days, but it can be delivered on 2 days up to 4 weeks apart. Alternatively it can be delivered via Zoom.
Each year approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health condition and at least 1 in 6 employees experience common mental health problems in the workplace. Research has shown that work is the biggest cause of stress which can stop people performing at their best.
Mental health conditions are often hidden due to stigma and fear of discrimination and research has shown that a culture of fear and silence around mental health is costly to employers. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance ‘First aid needs assessment’ refers to mental health in the workplace.
This course is packed with interactive activities which creates the perfect learning environment and will keep you engaged throughout the two days.
Course will run 9am – 3.30pm which includes a short morning break/lunch break. It is advised you bring your own lunch as there may not be food options close to the facility.
What you will learn
- Recognise a wide range of mental health conditions and learn about the support/therapy provided by professional healthcare providers.
- Know how to start a supportive conversation and when and how to signpost person to seek appropriate professional help.
- Recognise and manage stress and understand the impact of substance abuse.
- Learn about the first aid action plan for mental health, be able to put it in place and understand
- Implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace.
- Learners will not diagnose or treat mental health conditions as this can only be carried out by healthcare professionals
- Gain the knowledge to identify when a person may have a condition and know where they can go to get help.
Assessment and certification
On successful completion of the course and passing the practical and written assessments, learners will receive Level 6 in Leading First Aid for Mental Health (SCQF).
The qualification is valid for three years from the date of achievement. It is strongly recommended that the learner attends annual refresher training.
The learner will need to complete the full course again to requalify for a further three years.
This qualification is regulated in the UK and awarded by First Aid Awards (FAA).
FAA are an awarding organisation regulated by Ofqual and SQA Accreditation. The qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) and the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF).
This is a Nuco accredited course. The qualification is available to learners aged 16 or over.
Course duration and timings
2 Day Course
Day 1 – 9am – 5pm
Day 2- 9am – 5pm
Topics covered in this course
- What is First Aid for Mental Health?
- Identifying mental health conditions
- Starting a conversation and signposting
- Mental health conditions
- Drugs and alcohol
- First aid for Mental Health action plan
- First aid for Mental Health in the workplace
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Eating disorders
- Personality disorders
- Bipolar disorder